Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fruits & Nuts

My kids have been sick for a week now. Its been fun. Lots of coughing, tossed cookies and snot trails.
I thought my 1 year old was on the upswing last night as his appetite returned and he was very interested in the guacamole I was eating. So I shared it.
And then 30 minutes later he gave it back to me. All down the front of my shirt. I gotta say thats not how I like my guacamole.
Anyways, he was upset after that of course, so after I changed my clothes, I took him into the nursery to change him. He is screaming at this point. I have him stripped down and decided that since I have him there I will go ahead and change his diaper too.
He is laying there, screams have been reduced to severe whimpering, his little eyes are barely even open, tears streaming down his cheeks. He looks really pitiful, the poor guy.
I get his diaper off, and his whimpering tapers off a bit, and with the last bit of strength he can muster, he takes his hand, shaky with fatigue, and slowly reaches down and......grabs his little boy bits!
It doesn't matter how weak he is or how grave his condition is, there is ALWAYS time to take inventory.
Thats probably a more accurate way to determine the severity of baby boys illness. Why bother taking a temperature, or waiting forever for a call back from the on call pediatrician. Just strip him down. Does he grab himself? Yeah? He's gonna be just fine.

No comments: