Thursday, October 9, 2008

Be Still My Heart

Im nestled in my bed, next to my sleeping 10 month old watching TV. My three year old is asleep too. For now anyways.
This is my quiet time. The time I can just watch TV or read a magazine. Or play my Brain Age game. (gotta work on getting my mind back ya know) Anyways, so I am laying in bed and its approaching midnight, and I am going to watch the first 10 minutes of Nancy Grace before my eyes roll back into my head and I only hear every third word that Nancy is saying .
Well at the stroke of midnight, I hear this deafening static noise. It seems so loud, like its coming from inside my brain and my eyes fly open and I suddenly realize its the alarm on my clock radio. Obviously set to "radio", obviously not programmed on any particular station, and obviously turned up full blast. And most obvious of all.....my son has been in my room again.
I managed to fumble around and find the volume and get it turned down, then I try to focus my eyeballs on finding the off switch, each pounding beat of my heart shaking them seemingly out of their sockets.
I spend the next couple of minutes trying to regulate my breathing and stop the shakes.
How the baby didn't wake up, I will never know. But at least now I get to watch a little more of Nancy Grace than I anticipated.

No comments: