Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cant See the Forest Through the Sneeze

In the center of our mall, there is this play area. Its got these big plastic play things to climb all over. A hallowed out tree with a slide, a caterpillar and log and I think some mushrooms. I always cringe every time I see it. Luckily we are hardly there to begin with and when we are there, we usually go park by the store we want to go to and go directly in and avoid the common area of the mall.
But ever so often we are forced to navigate through the masses and of course there is just no getting past that "Forest of Fun" without our sons radar catching it. Where as he merely sees a caterpillar to climb on, I see millions of tiny influenza cruds dancing around, using chest cold germs as hula hoops, enticing our children to come closer, so they can pounce on them and infect them with cooties. And that log. Not just a log. Its a community tissue. Im sure the realistic texture of the bark is just layer upon layer of dried boogies. Yes I know I cannot keep my child away from all germs all the time. I know that one day he will be in school and I will no longer have control over his hands and what he touches and where he puts them.
*shudder*
But dammit. He's not in school yet. So let me obsess will ya?
When he points over there and asks to play, I scan the area, see all the kids and the chaos and the tired beat down parents sitting on the outskirts, I just cant bring myself to do it. I just cant. I know. My poor kids. I just hit the turbo on my stroller and race past it, and sing a song, chant "Blah blah blah, cant hear you!!!" or ask him some odd question to change the subject.
HAHA! Mommy-1, Cooties-0
Take that!

No comments: