Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cuz who wants boogers with cavities?

Everynight when I tuck my 3 year old into bed, I hand him a small cup of ice water and two pills. One is his fluoride tablet, and the other is a Flintstones vitamin. And I hand them to him one at a time and make him crunch them while I am standing there. I didnt really have a reason why I did that. I suppose I had visions of him hoarding them under his bed then eating them all at once two weeks later. Or him losing one and the baby finding it and choking on it. No real reason. Until two nights ago....
I was busy nursing the baby back in the bedroom and asked my husband to give him his fluoride and vitamin. I heard him go in there. Then it was quiet. Then I heard my husbands muffled voice, obviously agitated. I heard something along the lines of:
"What the?"
"Where?"
"Why'd you?"
"Dont you ever!"
I couldnt make out the whole conversation and had to wait patiently for him to report back to me. He finally comes back to the room and in an incredulous tone says "He shoved the fluoride pill up his damn nose!"
He is staring at me with this serious look on his face like he just told me that our child stole a car or something. But you cant tell me that my kid stuck a pill up his nose and expect me to keep a straight face. I'm sorry.
I turn my head, tears streaming down my face as he explains that he handed him the pills, then walked across the hall (this is where he went wrong) and got his own vitamins to take. And when he went back in the room my son was looking uncomfortable.
(Sort of how I imagine one might look moments after they had inserted a pill into their nose.)
So he asked him where his pills were and he told him what he did. So he plugged up the free nostril and made him shoot the pill back out. Then in an effort to teach him a lesson, he actually tried to tell him he still had to eat it. Well of course that didn't work. He told him he didn't want to eat it because it had boogers on it.
And it did.
My husband was still holding the slimy thing in his hand as proof.
I'm still giggling and crying in my hands and my husband tells me "ITS NOT FUNNY!" But he couldnt get "Funny" out without bursting into laughter himself.
I suggested next time, that he stand there and wait for him to crunch his pills before he walks away.

No comments: