Saturday, January 31, 2009

Me Tarzan, You...live under rock.

Every once in a great while I escape for a few hours and get to walk among the big people. No one asks me to get them a snack, or refill their cup of juice and I dont have to break up a fight or put anyone in time out. I get to relax, have a couple of cocktails and enjoy the company of my friends. These events are so few and far between however, that I think I may have forgotten how to act.

I went to a friends baby shower this afternoon, and it was being held at another friends new house. This was the first time I have seen her home.
So I walk in and I am oooohing and aaaaahing at the wonderful open spaces and brand spanking new kitchen and all its shiny new gadgets. And as soon as get into the kitchen, my friend pulls me into the pantry and says "You have to see this!"
Im like, "What the pantry?" Cause....I know I dont have one, but Ive seen one before. Duh.
And she goes "No! This!" And leans over the stainless steel garbage can and waves her hand over it. It magically opens on its own. She giggles and is so proud of herself. I too giggle and am amazed at what I am seeing. I have to throw something away! I spit my gum into my hand and wave my other hand over the can and watch it open again. But we are both still staring at it so when I finally remember to toss my gum in, it closes before I can do it. So I wave my hand over it again and watch it open, yet again, and then throw my gum in.
We watched the damn thing open and close like three times. You would have thought we were cavemen looking at fire for the first time.
"Unga!"
(poking a stick at the glowing yellow flame)
"Gugg! Ooooma?"
poke. poke.

We pulled ourselves out of the pantry and joined the party. Another friend walked up and I asked her if she saw the garbage can, and she told me she had. My friend who owns the house over heard and asked what we were talking about. I pointed to the garbage and said "Your trash can." She looks at us like we had just hiked out of the Appalachians and were staring in disbelief at her indoor plumbin' and that fancy ice box, and says, "Guys, I got it from Costco. A long time ago."

I laughed it off and told her I shop at Sams Club, so that must be why Ive never seen that before. Man I gotta get out more. Whats next? Cars that park themselves and little robots that sweep your floor for you?? ;)

No comments: