Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Nothing good ever comes from kids asking questions. I try to just point at the sky and say "Look! A helicopter!" and distract them until they forget. My goal is to keep this up until they get to school. It works pretty good most of the time.

My son was watching Noggin one day and there was a segment on there about rhyming. He started asking questions.
So I found myself trying to teach him how to rhyme.
"Mom, what rhymes with flower?"
"Tower, power, sour. Any word that sounds the same as flower."
"Does bee rhyme?"
"No. It doesn't sound the same as flower."
"Ooooooh. But fly rhymes with flower."
"No, it doesn't sound like flower either."
"But bees fly around the flowers, so it rhymes. Like bee, fly, red, gah, pico, gaggle....."
It spiraled downward from there.

Either my poor brain, stunted by childbirth and 4 years of sleep deprivation is too weak to handle this task, or it truly IS impossible to teach a child about time.
"Mom, am I 5 yet?"
"No honey, your birthday isnt for another 10 months. Thats a long ways away."
(takes a sip of milk from his cereal bowl)
"Am I 5 now?"
"No, drinking your milk will help you grow up big and strong, but it doesn't speed up time. Your birthday is still 10 months away. There are 30 whole days in a month, and if theres 10 months, that means theres three hundred days until your birthday. Thats a loooong time!"
(takes another sip of milk from his cereal bowl)
"Am I 5 now?"

At breakfast this morning I put the 1 year old in his high chair and my son had more questions:
"Mom, did you used to sit in a high chair when you were a little girl?"
"Yes, I did, when I was a baby."
(blank stare)
"Mom, you're being silly!"
"What? I used to be a little baby too, then I grew up."
"Mommmmm. You weren't a little baby, you're just a big ol' Mom. Mom, where did I come from?"
"You came from Mommys tummy, just like your brother did."
"Was your tummy all humongous?"
"Yes it was."
"Like that goat we saw?"
hmpf.
"Yes, kinda like that goat we saw."

"Look! A helicopter!"

No comments: