Thursday, March 12, 2009

Those Feet are Anything But Happy.

Today has been a challenge with my 4 year old. He has been incredibly stubborn, refused to nap and entertained himself by tormenting his little brother. So after he had said something smart to me one too many times, I did it.
I said the only words that had the physical capability of ripping his beating heart out of his chest and ending life as we know it.
NO. VIDEO. GAMES. WITH. DADDY. TONIGHT.
His eyes got huge with disbelief at my cruel and unusual punishment.
I could see his little brain going down the checklist.
Face scrunched up in disgust. check.
Waterworks on. check.
Foot stomps turned to "SERIOUS". check.
Arms set to flail wildly? check.
All systems are a go.

I sat patiently and watched it for a bit. I was sort of intrigued at the fall out. But it did get old real quick. After unsuccessfully trying to drowned him out by turning up my radio, I gave him the choice of continuing the show in time out, or stopping the noise and staying in the family room with me.
After a stubborn encore, the performance ended.
Since I already had the music on, I decided to get up and grab the baby and start dancing. Unable to sit idle while everyone else had fun, he joined in. While he is spinning and jumping around, he has this hateful look on his face. He looks like one of those angry dancers in Michael Jacksons "Beat it" video. I'm just waiting for him to whip out a switch blade and start taking theatrical stabs at his sequined enemy.
He looks at me and says "Dancing doesn't make me in a better mood." Spins around a few more times. "But I just still wanna do it."

No comments: