Friday, March 13, 2009

Keeping the Spark in Your Marriage

The light switch in our dining room is a dimmer switch. Its got an off/on button that lights up when the lights are off (Im assuming so you can find the switch in the dark), and a sliding bar to adjust the lights. Yesterday morning when I got up, the little green light was no longer working and the dining room light would not come on. I went out to our fuse box to see if perhaps we tripped the breaker. The fuse box door was stuck. Satisfied that I did what I could, I pulled out my "girly card" and just avoided that room until my husband came home. I knew the batteries in our smoke detector were good, so should any indoor fireworks happen, then we would be alerted.

Fast forward a few hours, I was discussing the lighting issue with my husband and he looks at the light fixture, then looks at the light switch, then looks back at the light fixture. Hmm. He takes the light switch apart and wires a new one on there and turns it on. Nothing. Hmmmm. Then he climbs up on the dining room table, unscrews the light and dismantles it, so it is now dangling from the ceiling, wires exposed. Everything looks good.
(electricians, we are not, mind you.)
We stand there for a moment, looking at the mangled light fixture and the mangled light switch and wondering where to proceed from here. Ah! The fuse box! We turn off all the electronics in the house, and he goes outside and starts flipping switches. Nope. That didnt do anything.
Husband scratches head in bewilderment.
Then a light bulb goes on. Not the one in the dining room, but the one in my husbands head.
"Did you check to see if the light bulbs were burned out?"
Who? Me? (whistling up at the sky and trying to not make eye contact.)
No, I didnt check the light bulbs, because the little light on the light switch wasn't lit up. He says, "Maybe thats an indicator that the lights are burned out. " Well that doesn't make sense, I think the best indicator that a light bulb burned out is that the LIGHT WONT COME ON. I don't need a stupid little green light on a switch to tell me that. GAH!
So he changed the light bulbs.
The lights came back on.
He turned the lights off to check the switch and sure as shit, that little green light lit up insolently as if to say "MORONS!"
My husband glared at me as he put the light fixture back into the ceiling and then reassembled the light switch.
I tucked away my "girly" card because clearly that wasn't working here, and pulled out my "Ive given birth twice and haven't slept in 4 years, you expect ME to figure these things out?" card.
Yeah. Thats the ticket.

No comments: