Thursday, May 28, 2009

"This is a Crock" pot.


I am a short order cook. I am not happy about this, nor am I proud that Ive got myself stuck in this position. But whatever.
Tonight, I made chicken fajitas for my husband and I, and leftover macaroni and cheese for the kids. My 4 year old has it in his head that he does not like macaroni and cheese from the fridge. It needs to be straight from the box. So I went so far as to heat it up while he wasn't looking, and stuck a pot and a spoon on the stove so it appears that it was just made.
I got my plate ready, got a bowl of pasta for my oldest, and then a small bowl of mac n cheese along with a couple of Gerber Graduate pasta pick ups on a plate for my youngest. I set all of this down on the table, sat down and called them in for dinner.
I envisioned my kids skipping in from the family room, hopping up at the table and eyes wide with gratitude sitting down and enjoying a meal with their mom.
(ok, no I didn't really envision that, I more just made sure I had a list of lies ready to combat whatever objections were about to be hurled my way when my son saw the bowl of what probably screamed "I'M TWO DAYS OLD & STRAIGHT FROM THE FRIDGE".)
So what happened?
They both ran in. The oldest looked at the bowl like it was a dirty diaper and said "I dont want macaroni and cheese." And ran out of the kitchen.
My youngest was game though. Even climbed up into his booster seat to string me along a bit. He grabbed a couple of noodles, mashed them in his hands. Stuck a ravioli to his fork and flung it to the floor. Tipped the bowl of mac n cheese over. Flung another ravioli and jumped down and left.
*sigh*
I had fajitas for dinner. They were pretty tasty.
My children? Well one is apparently living on a full tank of ornery, and the other one is eating a Crayola pen.

No comments: